What is Alcohol Poisoning?

What is Alcohol Poisoning?

alcohol abuseAlcohol poisoning is a change within the behaviors or mental function of someone that is drinking or has just been drinking heavy amounts of alcohol, usually in a short amount of time. This is an exceedingly common issue, one that occurs in more than 3 million cases per year. The alcohol that can cause this type of poisoning is found in many more products than standard alcoholic beverages. It can also be found within cooking extracts, mouthwash and other liquid products used around the home. In general, this alcohol is known as ethyl alcohol. To better avoid the possibility of suffering from alcohol poisoning in the future, it’s important to know what the signs and symptoms of this poisoning are, as well as the dangers associated with it. The following will provide a detailed analysis of all this and more.

Dangers and Risks of Alcohol Poisoning

There are plenty of dangers and risks associated with alcohol poisoning. While getting drunk in and of itself can be dangerous depending on a person’s state of mind, alcohol poisoning has the potential to be much worse. Binge drinking around four to five alcoholic beverages in a two hour period will typically result in alcohol poisoning. The reason that drinking so much alcohol in a small amount of time is extremely dangerous to a person’s body is due to the fact that alcohol is absorbed quickly into the body, much more so than food. It also takes a long time to release from a person’s blood stream. As such, the alcohol levels within your body will increase dramatically as you continue to drink. This is why alcohol poisoning is so common among those that binge drink.

Alcohol poisoning can result in a large number of dangerous and potentially deadly complications. Choking is possible for someone that has passed out from drinking too much and vomits as a result. Your breathing can be interrupted and lead to a complete stoppage of breathing. Severe dehydration and hypothermia can occur at times, while some of the more serious risks of alcohol poisoning include seizures, brain damage and even death. In fact, the majority of the aforementioned complications have the possibility of resulting in death.

Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

There are a wide range of signs and symptoms that might indicate that a person is suffering from alcohol poisoning. It’s also important to understand that anyone that drinks heavily on a consistent basis is in danger of suffering from alcohol poisoning. As such, it can largely be prevented as long as you or the person you know seeks treatment for alcohol abuse as soon as possible. If you notice any of the following signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning, immediate medical attention is necessary, as a person that becomes unconscious due to heavy drinking is in danger of dying.

Some of the most common signs of alcohol poisoning include confusion, vomiting and seizures. Slow and irregular breathing can also indicate that alcohol poisoning has occurred if the person has been drinking heavily recently. Slow breathing can be identified by how many breaths a person takes within a minute. If it’s less than 8 per minute, it’s likely that they are going through alcohol poisoning. Irregular breathing is similar to slow breathing in that it involves lengthy gaps between each breath, typically 10 seconds or longer. A person with abnormally pale skin or even blue-tinged skin is probably suffering from alcohol poisoning, as is anybody that has a very low body temperature. Alcohol poisoning has likely occurred within a heavy drinker that has passed out and/or cannot be fully awakened.

Benefits of Seeking Inpatient Treatment for Alcohol Abuse

The best way to ensure that you never have to go through alcohol poisoning is by seeking inpatient treatment in order to recover from alcohol abuse. This type of treatment provides the patient with a number of benefits that cannot be found with other forms of treatment. For one, you will be tasked with staying in an inpatient rehabilitation facility for a period of at least 28 days and will stay there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is helpful to patients as it keeps them far away from the substance they were addicted to or abusing, such as alcohol. This allows for the treatment to progress much more smoothly. It also provides access to trained medical professionals that are on-site at all times to ensure that you are cared for if an issue arises. You will be among others that are going through the same thing as you, which can help greatly during the recovery process. If you or someone you love are suffering from alcohol abuse, seek inpatient treatment immediately.

Category: Alcohol

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

24Sober

Article by: 24Sober